July 29, 2009

Parenting 101

There has been some attitude around our house lately. Not all from the 2 year old either. (though she does supply enough 'tude for a small gaggle of girls) Fed up with constant reminders that makings fists and stomping away is not acceptable I decided to come up with a new plan. A plan that involved no reminders. A plan that would (hopefully) turn a grumpy situation into a laughable moment (I would settle for just not grumpy!) With a plan set I waited for the next tantrum to come about. (it didn't take long) attitude a'plenty from a certain 6 year old and I put my plan into action. It went something like this "1...2...3... Awwwww"

Um, yeah. I threw the kid a pitty party.

It was marvelous. He didn't know what to think. His fists unclenched. He smiled a tiny little smile.

Hannah and Nehemiah are now expert party givers. They can count and awwww with the best of em. Joseph acts mad when we do it, but the smile on his face says otherwise. And while I realize that this parenting method isn't going to put me in the running for Mother of the year, and that my chances of ever meeting Michelle Duggar diminish every time a pitty party is given, I am pleased with the results.

Party On.

1 comment:

Onzelle said...

We've done this from time to time, but now I'm thinking I may steal the consistency of it to stop the whining that goes on around here. And while I have no desire for 18 children, I sure do like Michelle Duggar myself!