May 1, 2012

How crazy is your classroom?

Earlier today I was watching a youtube video of a math "rap".  The kids on the video were singing their doubles facts.  I was trying to remember if I taught Joseph his doubles using song or if he just learned them. 

Well, as usual, the kids came running when they heard noise on the computer.

The next 7 minutes were spent with the kids staring at the screen, their jaws hanging open, eyes wide. 

The teacher was high energy and calling out odd commands to her class, who would respond in some silly song fashion.  I was quite confused, but her class knew just what to do. 

When it was over my kids just kind of looked at each other. 

Joseph was the first to speak up,  "Thank you for teaching us at home.  THAT was crazy."







* note *   I have no problem with the way the teacher in the video was teaching her students.  Her students seemed to respond well to it, and she joined in with the craziness.  It seemed like a fun classroom... just not a classroom that my kids want any part of.  :)

1 comment:

Luke Holzmann said...

[smile] Yes, there can absolutely be a "culture shock" (of sorts) when you step into a situation with which you are not familiar. A large part of classroom learning is learning how to behave/what will be required of you in that classroom/by that teacher. That's why I like homeschooling: The goal is to master the subject matter, not pass a test or meet an arbitrary deadline. We can go at the pace of the student rather than measure the relative ability of each student to meet the demands of the class.

~Luke