April 15, 2009

Easter Eggs

Whenever I smell vinegar I think of Easter. I use vinegar all the time. I clean with it. I cook with it. But it will always and forever remind me of coloring eggs.

I kept things simple this year. I have some mugs that are colored on the inside. Each kid got one mug (which matched the color of the dye) and that was the color all of their eggs were going to be. Don't worry, they still had fun. :)
Joseph was very serious about his egg color. He was in search for the perfect shade of blue.
Studying the color to see if it is right.
eh, needs some more time in the water.
Nehemiah was loving this. A whole cup of GREEN water just for him?!
He filled his cup with as many eggs as he could.
And was very pleased when they came out green. :)
Hannah loves anything Joseph loves and she went about dyeing her eggs with the same intensity as Joseph. Well, 2 year old style.
Is it dark enough yet? She checked with Joseph first before putting the egg back in to soak.
"I love it! It's pretty!"


The finished work. Blue, Green, and Reddish-Orange eggs. (plus two yellows that I made)

My parents sent the kids an Easter egg kit... but it got here a day after we made these. So we will be making hard boiled eggs again next month. Roger likes egg salad so it's all good. :)

3 comments:

Davene said...

I like your idea to keep things simple. Very wise!

Jenny said...

Great idea. I love it! I purposely avoided dying eggs this year because of the mess. But I will definately do it next year. I love the mugs, such a bright idea. And how does the vinegar play into the whole dying easter eggs, is that what you mix the dye with? Thanks so much for sharing.

Valerie said...

Jenny, I think the vinegar makes for brighter colors? I don't know, it's one of those things that I have just always done. :) If you look at the store bought kits they say to add vinegar too, so I guess I do it right I just don't know why. :)