March 26, 2009

What's In A Name?

UPDATED TO ADD: Although I was upset to find out Molly means sea of bitterness I am only joking about changing her name. I'm thinking she won't be scarred for life with the name. Baby #4 will be named carefully and thoughtfully. :)

We have chosen our children's names carefully. We picked names that not only sounded nice (to us) but names that had powerful or special meanings. (God will strengthen. God will Add. Light Bringer. Comforter. Grace. Joy of the Father) All of our childrens names also happen to be in the Bible. That last part just happened to be with the boys and we felt compelled to keep it up with Hannah. Like the Duggar's with their J names, we felt bad thinking Hannah could be the only one without a name found in the Bible. I'm thinking those aren't things that send kids to a shrink... but now we don't have to wonder.

Anyway, when choosing a name for our puppy I had started out with that same principal. Originally Molly wasn't Molly, she was Sheba. As in Bathsheba. (Daughter of an Oath) (I had scripture to go along with it too and really liked it for a dog) I liked the meaning and I wasn't going to name a future daughter Bathseba, so the dog it was. But then we realized that it's a brand of cat food. And well, who can afford the bill for the dog to see a shrink?! So, we changed it (without researching the meaning!) to Molly. It was cute. It was easy for the kids to say. It was done. Then... today... I looked up the meaning for Molly. Sea of Bitterness. Oh for the love! Really? My dog is a sea of bitterness? How much will I have to pay in shrink bills if this pup goes through 3 names in one week?

I have to unpack my baby names book so we can get crackin' on choosing a name for baby #4. Hopefully in the next few weeks we can find out what we are having. I was kinda thinking about going for the element of surprise again (we didn't find out what we were having w/ Joseph) but then I realized that I enjoy being prepared. I enjoy yard sales. and pink. (or blue!) I don't care much for a wardrobe of green and yellow. By the time Nehemiah was a few weeks old I had already retired all of Joseph's "neutral" clothes and only put the cute blue stuff with trucks and dinosaurs on him. (Yet people still asked if he was a girl?!)

Losing my point.

I think we will have to stick with Molly as a bitter dog. It's officially on her PetSmart engraved ID tag. That won't stop me from researching a better name and calling her something else in my head.

4 comments:

CPK said...

I have a friend whose name is Molly and she is so delightful that I would never ever think of the word "bitterness" and Molly in the same sentence.
I think it is a very cute name for a dog.
In other name news.....I found out from a Swedish friend a few years ago that Isabel is the way Swedes say "Jezabel"....hmm, at least it's Biblical? :(

jmo said...

Sweetie-- I love you and all-- but I'm starting to think YOU might need the shrink bills more than the dog. Who worries what the meaning of the DOG NAME is? Really?!! :) LOVE YOU!! Hope all is well.

Kimmie said...

I am sure Molly will be fine...and if not I am sure prayer will cover the rest ;-)

bless you in your baby name picking, we have always prayed and the Lord did the naming (or renaming in the case of our 6 adopted children).

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Davene said...

It's so funny that you were planning to call her Sheba because that was one of the names on my list, too, before we named our dog Molly. Great minds, eh? :)