March 8, 2009

The House ~ The Bad AND The Ugly

Ok, I've gotta tell ya, these pictures are bad. I mean, they make the house look nasty. And well, the house needs work. The funk factor scored 100 on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm just glad that the people broke contract now and not 2 years from now. We might not have had a house left at that point.

If you aren't up for seeing filth and stupid remodeling in action, don't scroll down.

Above is the living room floor. When we left it was carpet. Hardwood floors were underneath. This is what was put on top of the hardwood. Poorly. It's like this around the whole room. Just random chunks not flush with the wall. This is also the only room with baseboard trim. I don't think it's even supposed to be trim. It's going to be ripped out. soon.
Um, what happened to the door?!
The picture does not really do this tub justice. It's gross. Bath fitters will be hearing from us this week. And as soon as the water gets turned on tomorrow the tub will meet soft scrub with bleach.
This is the bathroom closet. Well, let me clarify. This is where the bathroom closet used to be. It was torn out. Nothing was put in it's place. Apparently the switch plates were lost in the process.
I screamed when I opened this. Half out of the "ew" factor and half out of anger. There was NOTHING wrong with this when we left. I realize it's been a few years, but really? And WHAT is with the ant trap?!
Apparently there was a leak under the sink... a leak that went unresolved for quite some time. The cabinet has mold on it too.
It doesn't show up in the picture, but the master bedroom carpet (which is over hardwood floors) is nasty. They put it in new 3 years ago... and in those 3 years they trashed it. The carpet in the kids room was just as bad. The mini blinds (which I would have taken down anyway) are funky. Think, grease + dirt + tug of war. I don't know... just gross. They will come down after a trip to Target for some curtain hardware. The stuff we left at the house is gone.
Well, this vent actually has the cover... which is more to say than the others. When we lived in the house there was like a styrofoamish ceiling tyle on the ceiling. It was put there by the people we bought the house from. These people took the ceiling down in some places but in others, just drywalled over it... which means the vent covers don't fit properly now. But hey, they didn't ever service the central heat/ac unit... so we don't need it now anyway! (grrrrrr)
This is the kids room... after we took out the nasty carpet. They used the hardwood floor as a dropcloth for their crazy a** textured painting. Suprisngly with a good scrubbing a lot of that nasty came off the wood floor. We are going to price replacement hardwood for the end of the room where it's just plywood. We don't know what the deal is there. It doesn't necesarily have anything to do with the people that just left our house.
The kids room... floor rot.
The washing machine was so gross the lid would hardly open. We have our own, so it's not that big of a deal but EWW! They weren't on the curb for more than 10 minutes and a neighbor picked them up. Whatever.
The bathroom window. It was in the shower. They didn't like that so they replaced it with glass block. They never replaced the hardy board siding. I'm scared to look behind that plastic.
Kids room window.
Oh, this is another one of the bathroom closet. I don't think that was the picture I meant to pick.
Oh well. Oh, did I mention we don't have a bathroom sink? Ok, well NOW we do. It was bought on our first trip to Lowes. In the 2ish days we have been here, Lowes has seen a lot of us.

I'll spare you some of the other pictures that show more nasty stuff. It is cleaning up nicely though. I'm bummed about my kitchen floor. WHen we left it had pergo wood flooring. Not real wood but that kind that links together. That was pulled out and a sheet laminate was underneath. It's dirtier than anything I have ever seen before.
Here, see for yourself. Do you see that clean streak in the middle? We need water in the house for me to actually finish cleaning this floor properly.

So... overall we are bummed about the condition of the house. We were expecting repairs, but not to this degree. We are tackling it as best as we can. The kids are loving the hotel time and the dirt in the backyard. Joseph is geeking about the fire ants and Nehemiah calls every bug a spider. Hannah doesn't see what the big deal is about bugs. I'm not sure where she got that from. I saw a gecko crawling around in the shed. I forgot we had them down here. No biggie, I showered with them when I was in Brasil. As long as they stay out of my shower here (well, and preferably the house) I'll be ok.

I'll post pictures as things get done so you can see the progress we are making.

4 comments:

jmo said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! HOLY COW. Really? That is awful. I can NOT believe that anyone would treat a house that way- and leave it like that. Normally- I am NOT a fan of "suing" or lawyers or anything- but they destroyed the house- and you are going to have to make significant investments just to get it up to where it was before! That's just NOT cool. If they had problems with repairs, etc- they should have told you about it- like any "renter" would have been required to. I don't think these people are going to "change" anytime soon- so they're just as likely to do this to the NEXT person they rent or lease a house from too! (how can you warn them?!) I'm just floored.. really floored here. I'm sorry honey! I hope you can get it up to passable standards fairly quickly. I'll call you tomorrow.

Jenny said...

Use vinegar on your floors and walls to clean and disenfect. It's much cheaper then the cleaners.

Christin said...

I just finished looking at this stuff AGAIN. and I can still only say "wow"

Mary@notbefore7 said...

OH MY...OH MY....can't wait to see progress. You sure have your work cut out for you :)