I had my first prenatal visit today. After I waited for about 15 minutes I was called back and told that my insurance couldn't be verified. I was almost sent home. That didn't make me too happy. My favorite receptionist worked with me and I was able to prove that I do infact have insurance, even though I didn't receive all of my cards yet. Ugh. After that was squared away I went back to the waiting room.
When I thought I had been there forever I was finally called back. There is a new nurse at the office so she was shadowing my nurse. It was a little weird. I certainly don't need that many people to watch me step on the scale.
I was instructed to "undress from the waist down" and "cover up with this". "This" was no more than a sheet of tissue paper. Lovely. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror right next to the "bed"... I decided I needed a robe. Luckily I have been at this office for years and I knew exactly where to find one. Much better. Well, considering my options.
Have you ever sat, half naked, in a Dr's office and then waited SO LONG that you thought the staff forgot about you? The hustle and bustle from the hall seemed to stop. No noise was heard. I wanted to peek in the hall but was afraid (1) that the lights would be out and no one would be there or (2) a nurse would walk past and see me in my robe and tissue paper outfit and order me back in my room. I decided to just stay on the bed and avoid looking in the mirror.
My Dr arrived and informed me that he won't need to do an internal exam. Gee, I got all dolled up for nothing.
We talked a bit and he got out the baby doppler do-hickey. He was saying that this early we still might not hear a heartbeat. He was thinking he should have grabbed the black do-hickey... it sometimes works better than this one. Just then....we heard it... a heartbeat. A heartbeat that was WAY to fast to be mine. It was beautiful. I tried my best not to cry. My poor Dr has seen enough of that from me.
The heartbeat was about 178. Thats the highest out of all the kiddos this early in the game. Well, at all. He assured me that 178 is fine.
My guess by the way is a boy. My left side goes numb. That only happened in my pregnancies with the boys.
Now that I have reached this milestone I will start to take pictures. Well, I'll probably wait for the 2nd trimester to start. I will tell you though, my jeans are tight. Panel pants here I come. :)
When I thought I had been there forever I was finally called back. There is a new nurse at the office so she was shadowing my nurse. It was a little weird. I certainly don't need that many people to watch me step on the scale.
I was instructed to "undress from the waist down" and "cover up with this". "This" was no more than a sheet of tissue paper. Lovely. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror right next to the "bed"... I decided I needed a robe. Luckily I have been at this office for years and I knew exactly where to find one. Much better. Well, considering my options.
Have you ever sat, half naked, in a Dr's office and then waited SO LONG that you thought the staff forgot about you? The hustle and bustle from the hall seemed to stop. No noise was heard. I wanted to peek in the hall but was afraid (1) that the lights would be out and no one would be there or (2) a nurse would walk past and see me in my robe and tissue paper outfit and order me back in my room. I decided to just stay on the bed and avoid looking in the mirror.
My Dr arrived and informed me that he won't need to do an internal exam. Gee, I got all dolled up for nothing.
We talked a bit and he got out the baby doppler do-hickey. He was saying that this early we still might not hear a heartbeat. He was thinking he should have grabbed the black do-hickey... it sometimes works better than this one. Just then....we heard it... a heartbeat. A heartbeat that was WAY to fast to be mine. It was beautiful. I tried my best not to cry. My poor Dr has seen enough of that from me.
The heartbeat was about 178. Thats the highest out of all the kiddos this early in the game. Well, at all. He assured me that 178 is fine.
My guess by the way is a boy. My left side goes numb. That only happened in my pregnancies with the boys.
Now that I have reached this milestone I will start to take pictures. Well, I'll probably wait for the 2nd trimester to start. I will tell you though, my jeans are tight. Panel pants here I come. :)
3 comments:
What a blessing. You made my day Val! I am so happy that you heard a strong heartbeat.
Oh my, I can certainly relate! At my recent appointment (the internal exam one), I sat half-dressed for such a long time that I thought I was going to literally fall asleep on the examining table. I was sitting up, too, like you're supposed to until they come in and tell you to lie down. I thought I was either going to have to lie down and really fall asleep (thereby being scared out of my wits when someone really did come into the room), or continue to sit up and fall asleep and fall off the examining table and bust my head open. Lovely.
I'm glad you survived and heard a wonderful, fast heartbeat! What a beautiful sound!!!
By the way, I have no idea what your insurance situation is or your husband's employment or what not, but since my husband is self-employed, we get no insurance coverage from anyone. We found that the best option for us BY FAR is a Christian sharing organization. We're part of Samaritan Ministries, and we LOVE it. Anyway, I'm not trying to do a commercial, but just wanted to pass along some info that may or may not be helpful. For what it's worth...
Have a great weekend!
I can definitely relate to those flimsy paper cover-up's too. I had to get undressed and wear those darn things and then my dr did the same as yours - no exam necessary! Fun! lol.
That's wonderful news that you heard the heartbeat! It truly is one of the most beautiful comforting sounds in the world! Congrats!
Post a Comment