April 18, 2012

2nd Trimester

Saturday marked the start of my 2nd trimester!  Whew!  Perhaps and end to morning sickness is in sight.  I've felt rough this pregnancy, in part due to low iron.  Such a seemingly simple thing to fix, but WOW it can really wreak havoc on the body. 
I haven't talked much about this pregnancy yet.  Other than how sick I was feeling there wasn't a lot to say.  But now, today, I finally get to announce that...

we heard the heartbeat!  

It was such a wonderful sound!  Having had 2 miscarriages previously, the 1st trimester always seems to be a time of holding my breath and waiting.  Perhaps now I can breathe a little easier.  We only heard the heartbeat for a few seconds before the baby moved out of the way.  The midwife was unable to track him/her down again.  I'm sure at my next appt (in 2 weeks) baby will be even easier to find and hopefully we can actually find out how fast his/her little heart is beating. 

Speaking of midwives... Perhaps now I should mention that this will be our first homebirth!  Roger and I both are excited about this and we are looking forward to a calm birth at home.  All of my other babies had no complications at birth so there is no reason to believe that there will be any problems this time around.  Our midwife and her team are amazing.  At our first appointment we met almost everyone.  Only 2 staff members were missing, 1 due to have her own baby any day now, and the other um, I don't remember.  Just not there. :) 

We haven't decided yet if our kids will be present for the birth or not.  We still have time to decide. :) 

We will be skipping the ultrasound at 20 weeks (unless something changes and the midwife thinks it's medically necessary.  at this point everything is fine and I don't need it) so that means the gender will be a surprise until his/her birthday.  There have been some rumors going around that we're having a boy.  I can't even begin to tell you how much this made me laugh.  :)  I don't know how that got started, but the truth is we do not know.  It's too early to tell even if we wanted to find out. 

So today we are just rejoicing over the beautiful strong heartbeat we heard.  I think the kids are anxious for my belly to grow.  I believe they find some kind of sick pleasure in watching me waddle when I walk.  :)  Hoping to not waddle for many more weeks though! :) 


No comments: