Beverly Messner is a woman that was like a second mother to me, I called her Mom Messner. She lost her battle with cancer last month. Today would have been her birthday.
I'm 1,400 miles away. I couldn't go to her funeral. I couldn't give my best friend from high school a hug as she said good bye to her Mom.
Mom Messner holds a special place in my heart. As a teenager I didn't know Jesus. I was searching, like many teenagers do. Mom Messner encouraged me to go to church with her family. My life was changed because of her. I'll never forget what she said to me one day as I was leaving her house. She came out to my car and asked me if I believed in Jesus. I believe my answer was "Yeah, I think so." :) I just wasn't ready to change my life. I had such a skewed vision of what it meant to be a Christian. I only knew like 3 Christians from school, and 2 of them were very annoying. I didn't enjoy being preached at while I ate lunch. :) Anyway, she said "You don't change your life and then ask Jesus to join you. You ask Jesus into your life and then He changes what He wants to change."
Rocked my little world.
I didn't have an excuse anymore. I knew she was right. About a year later (if that?) the Youth Pastor of our church was sending all of the youth group (all 5 of em!) to YWAM. My best friend was going, but I wasn't invited. The youth pastor thought I was older than what I was and Mom Messner made sure that was corrected. Because of her (and the youth Pastor... who also holds a special place in my heart) I went on that trip. Because of her, I went to YWAM and gave my heart to Jesus. My life has never been the same. (and that's a good thing!) :)
Over the years my best friend from high school and I drifted apart. I didn't see Mom Messner as much. She was at my wedding. I showed up at her house with my baby bump when I was pregnant with Joseph. I ran into her a few times over the years. She always had a hug and a smile for me.
And now she's gone. And I didn't say good bye. And my heart breaks... for me, for my friend, and for all those that she left behind.
Do you celebrate birthday's in Heaven? If you do, I hope she's hanging out with Jesus, eating some cake and enjoying her time there while she waits for her family and loved ones to join her. Thanks to her, I will join her one day.
Happy Birthday Mom Messner. I love you.
1 comment:
That was beautiful, Valerie. So glad that Mom Messner took the time to express love to you and make sure you were included. The "little things" in life mean so much, don't they?
Post a Comment