May 24, 2010

Whats your cocktail?


What's life without a little drama? (It's what I dream about, thats what it is!)


If we are friends on Facebook then you already know that Roger hasn't been feeling well. He's been to the family Dr and then today to the pulmonary specialist. He's on 7 medications. He feels terrible. It's not allergies. We think it's asthma related. My diagnosis is that he had a cold and it settled in his chest(lungs). Neither of the Dr's had any kind of explanation for what is going on. They just want to drug him up and make the symptoms go away. I'm highly annoyed with the specialist he saw today. We woke the kids up and got everyone ready so that I could go along. I really wanted to hear what this guy had to say.


I should have stayed in bed.

He asked a few questions. Roger answered. "Are you still taking the nose spray?" Roger answered, no. That's it. Visit over. He zoned in on that (forget that Roger was taking the spray until just a few short days ago. He stopped because it was getting so painful from taking it as prescribed.) and went on a rant about having to use the spray. Then he ordered a chest x-ray (to rule out pneumonia) and left the room. I was shocked. My husband is sitting on the exam table, hunched over because his chest hurts and is struggling to breathe and this guy is saying that he needs to take the nose spray?! He also tripled the dosage of the med that the family Dr prescribed earlier in the week and prescribed and antibiotic. The kids and I waited in the room while Roger went and had the x-ray done. Not long after Roger came back in the nurse returned and said "ok! You're good to go! You don't have a pneumonia. Take these meds, we'll see you in 6 weeks."

Now, we aren't the type of people that are opposed to medications. I mean, we have a cabinet devoted to Rogers prescriptions. He needs to breathe (I kinda like him that way!)... but I'm not a fan of throwing medicine at a situation with no explanation as to why it's being taken and what is going to happen when the bottle is empty. The answer we got today was "we have to attack this from all angles". It didn't really answer my question but it's all he had to say. And I understand what he was saying... it just wasn't a true answer.

*insert a loud scream and a deep sigh here*

So this evening as I was picking up the new prescriptions for Roger I talked to the CVS pharmacist. Asked him about the antibiotic that was prescribed (because the nurse couldn't even tell us what it was), asked him about pulmonary specialists in East Texas, asked him why my insurance company has such a crappy RX co-pay ;) Ya know what? I think he was the most helpful person I talked to all day. He wrote down a # for me to call, along with 2 Dr's names. They are here in our area and he spoke very highly of them. So tomorrow we will be calling to go see (yet another!) specialist.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey girl I am so sorry you are all having to go through this. I never have understood when Dr's do this. Half of them don't even care about the patient, they just care about how much money they can get out of each one and getting to the next one ASAP to make even more money. Keep us posted.

jmo said...

I've talked to a pharmacist more than one time, and they've been REALLY helpful and knowledgable. I agree. They go through a LOT LOT LOT of schooling. I'm so sorry that Roger is feeling so rough still. GOOD LUCK with the next specialist, and please keep up posted (of course). We're thinking of you guys.