March 17, 2010

Hellooooo. I am still here, are you?

Wow, it's been busy around here! Adaiah still isn't sleeping well. Improving! but I take back the "good sleeper" label. Eh, who likes labels anyway, right? :)


I made a cake for a baby shower at church... and it's been showering powdered sugar ever since. Ok, well not really but my kitchen looks like it has been. Baking cakes with 4 kids in the house is an all day event. Let me give you a glimpse at a baking day in my house, sit down, this is dizzying






  • prep ingredients


  • nurse baby


  • mix ingredients


  • pick up screaming baby


  • prepare cake pans one handed while holding baby on hip, praying she does not choose now to spit up (I promise she NEVER has while working on a cake!!!)


  • put baby down and enroll a sibling to keep her happy while I get a cake in the oven


  • sit. nurse. talk with the other kids while baby naps in my arms... I dare not put her down. She WILL wake up.


  • timer beeps. baby goes in swing with a prayer that maybe, just maybe, she will stay asleep (she doesn't) cake out of oven, onto cooling rack, wash pan, put in 2nd tier


  • pick up screaming baby


  • (tired yet? I am!)


  • repeat this scenario at least 2 more times. then move on to making the icing! :)




So far when I make cakes I'm up till about 1am finishing everything up. And that finishing? does not include a clean kitchen :(



If it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not. While I am a huge fan of sleep and 1am isn't an hour that I like to see pass while I'm in the kitchen, I very much enjoy all things cake. Some day I would like to make this a business... but I think I will wait for the kids to grow up first. :)



ok, I had no intention of making this an entire post about cake... but the baby is crying and it's late so I think I'll end here. 2 quick pictures of the most recent cakes





Wizard of Oz. 6 layers... each layer a color of the rainbow and cute little ruby slippers on top. FUN cake to make. shower cake. matched the bedding.

1 comment:

jmo said...

Ok- both cakes are FANTASTIC! (and yes, that does sound like a tiring cake-making process!)

6 layer cake?! WOAH!!! and those ruby slippers are stinkin' adorable!

Sorry for the over-abundance of exclamation points, but I am just continually proud and impressed with the amazing cakes you produce. Yay!