June 2, 2009

Pregnancy Update


So today I finally made it to see the Dr. I wasn't very happy going in (1) because I had gone already and been told I had the appt time wrong and (2) I had to be up before 7am in order to be there. After a longish wait in Mexico OOPS I mean the waiting room! it was finally my turn... to answer an hours worth of questions that could have been answered if they actually read the papers that my PA Dr sent to them. The lady asking all of the questions was fairly nice though and I got free prenatal vitamins (not that I needed them) and some magazines (that were surprisingly in English). After another boringly long wait I was called back to meet with a midwife. This was new to me. My Dr in PA didn't have a midwife on staff. It was a small family practice that also delivered. It was lovely. I would bring every last one of them down here if I could. I can't. I tried.

Anyway, the midwife was wonderful. She was a lovely lady and I hope I get to see her again. The visit with her lasted aprox 8 minutes. It sounds a little dissapointing but really there wasn't much else for her to do. The nurses wanted her to do a full exam and blood work, but it was all done in PA already so there was no reason for it. She agreed that it would be silly to do it all again. (Yay!!) The babys heart rate was in the 130's which is a HUGE difference from the 180 it was last time. (at 11 weeks) I measure at 25 weeks, which is good. So I finished with the midwife and went back to wait some more. She was nice though and knew that I had already been there awhile so she made sure my chart got put at the top of the pile for anything else that I had to wait for. I didn't wait long before I was called back to meet with a social worker.

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. She asked me a ton of questions... stuff like "are you in a safe relationship?" "Do you use drugs" Then.... it was back to the waiting room to wait for someone to call me back to schedule my next appointment. Again my chart was placed on the top of the pile and I didn't have to wait long. I go again in 2 weeks. And I get an ultrasound next week.

The appointment ended just in time to have Roger come pick me up so I could then drop him of at work.

Even though it was insanely annoying to spend 3 hours of my day at the Dr's office I am very greatful that the baby is doing well and that Roger had the other kids.

There is now a great debate over my due date. According to this Dr my due date is earlier than what I have been saying. We'll see about that. Apparently they are firm believers in "the ultrasound will tell us" I'm more of a "I know when I got pregnant!" kinda gal myself. Time will tell.

And that ends the pregnancy update. Thank you and goodnight.

3 comments:

Davene said...

It's always fun to read a pregnancy update; but goodness, I wish things were going a bit more smoothly for you as far as the transition to this medical practice! I've had medical care that I've been extremely happy with...and some that I've been--ahem--less happy with. Fortunately, through it all, the babies inside us just grow and do what they're supposed to, regardless of outside stuff!

I'm looking forward to hearing about that ultrasound! :)

Davene said...

Hi, Valerie! Thanks for your comment on my blog. That's interesting about how the odds are still 50/50! :)

As far as the voting, the boy/girl poll is the top thing in the sidebar on the right of my blog. Sometime later I'll put up the contest about the date of birth, but for now I just have that simple poll up.

Have a great weekend! :)

Jen said...

Great update! Does this mean that in 2 weeks you'll know if it's a boy or a girl? Fun stuff! "Are you in a safe relationship?" That's an interesting question, a good one, but interesting. I'm happy you got to go to the doctor's office alone - and that the report is good!