January 22, 2014

Learning to Sew

Hannah received a sewing machine for Christmas.  She was beside herself with excitement!  Before we raided my fabric stash though, I decided to have her practice and get a good feel for her machine.  I want her to know how to use it so that she can then open up her sewing book (that she also got for Christmas) and be able to follow the directions, confident in her abilities to sew.  Well, ok, she is 7.  I'm not going for perfection here, just a basic understanding of how to use the machine.  :)



So she practiced. 

I drew some lines on paper and had her practice w/o thread.  
She was able to get a feel for the foot pedal.
She was able to line up the presser foot with each line and work on making a straight line.
The needle left holes in the paper so she still had something to see as a result of her hard work.  
... and it was hard work!
We threaded it up after awhile, and of course, she chose a pretty stitch.  
Sewing is harder than it looks.
I'm so proud of her though.  She really practiced, and "try, tried again"
                                     
... and then decided lesson #1 was long enough.  Time to pack it up for the day. :)
 She's going to be a great (sassy) little sewer someday.  I can't wait to see what she makes.  

No comments: