October 8, 2013

1 year

I'm feeling a bit reminiscent tonight... While at the store this evening, I ran into my midwife that delivered Keturah.  Tomorrow Keturah turns 1.

This time last year I was discovering that yes, I was indeed in labor.  Just thinking about it brings back a rush of excitement.  My homebirth rocked my world.  It was amazing and painful and peaceful.  My kids talk about it often.  Every once in awhile the girls will mention that I made loud noises. :)   Mostly though they talk about how they got to hold Keturah right away.  Or how tiny she was.  Adaiah likes to remember that the midwife put on a Strawberry Shortcake movie for her. :)

All of that was a year ago!  My baby girl has learned to sit up, crawl, and walk.  She can say "Mama" (and Mommy), "Dada", "Adaiah", "Hannah", "that", "please", and "hi".  She can sign, "please", "more" "all done", and "cheese".  :)

The first year is such an amazing time of growth!  Keturah was born weighing 7lb 4oz and today she weighs in at 17lbs 4oz.  She's a petite little girl, but she sure is growing!



Keturah has certainly kept me busy this year, which I suppose is to be expected.  She is what I refer to as my "high maintenance" baby.  I thought I had some of those in the past.  I was wrong.  Adaiah was my easiest baby BY FAR.  With 6 years between what would have been my last "high maintnence" baby to Keturah... I forgot.  a lot.  Keturah's favorite place to be for months was in my sling.  I happily own 3 different slings.  I used them all MANY times with her.  I don't wear her as often as I used to (she's kinda wiggly now) but she does still enjoy to snuggle with me in a sling when she's tired. 

A year ago we were wondering if we would be welcoming a baby boy or a baby girl into our arms.  Tomorrow we will gather around our sweet Keturah Jubilee and sing Happy Birthday. 

Normally I'm a little sad on 1st birthday's but this time I'm not.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm hoping this year she'll grow out of some of her high maintenance needs or if I've just done enough 1st birthdays to know that it's not the end of the world. :)  Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to celebrating the big O-N-E with my little girl tomorrow. 

Oh, and my midwife?  She's expecting her first baby any day now. :)  It's amazing what can happen in a years time. 


No comments: