September 13, 2012

Crayon Art

 Step 1: grate some old crayons into pretty little piles of various colors


 Step 2:  You'll need a few sheets of paper.  We folded ours in half to save on paper.  I'm cheap. 
 Place crayon shavings on paper in whatever pattern, shape, picture you want. 

 Step 3:  If you folded your paper in half like I did, go ahead and fold it over now.  If using two pieces of paper, place one piece on top of your shavings creation piece.  With a warm iron, smooth over your paper. 
 What your left with is a melted piece of crayon art!
 Above: before ironing
Below: after ironing
 Up until this point I had used a rag between my iron and paper.  The crayon still melted, but not as quickly.  I decided to see what would happen if I ditched the rag.
 Wow! What a difference!



The kids had a lot of fun with this little craft.  My grater and my dining room table will never be the same.... but it was fun!  :) 

Tips if you are going to try this:  Protect your table with newspaper or cardboard.  If you have an old grater, use it.  If not... let your husband clean the grater for you while you sweep the floor for the thousandth time, trying in vain to remove the last of the crayon shavings. 

No comments: