April 5, 2011

Always bring paper towels

Wow. THAT was a shopping trip.  We went to Michaels.  They had a long list of things on sale that I wanted to get my hands on.  I bought a few flowers for 75 cents a piece so I could make hair things for the girls.  I bought a photo box for a buck fifty that I want to store my patterns in.  I was looking at the little things of craft paint for 30 cents, and tossing  a few colors in the cart.  Adaiah wanted to help.  So I was handing paint colors to her and she would plop them in the cart.  I was getting ready to leave the paint aisle.  Standing behind the cart and starting to pull it towards me I sniffed the air... it reeked of paint.  For a split second I was a little confused as to why the paint aisle suddenly smelled so strongly of paint.  Then I looked at Adaiah and it all made sense.  There she sat, paint cap in one hand and paint bottle in the other.  Silver paint was poured all over her pants.  It was dripping down the shopping cart and on the floor there was a puddle that made me think 2 ounces is a lot more than I thought it was. This is when I took a mental note to never give Adaiah something with a screw on lid ever again.  

I quickly took the paint bottle away and secured the lid.  Unsure of what to do with the silvery mess on the floor I walked away... straight to the front counter to pay for my cart full of stuff and to let them know that my 1 year old made one heck of a mess in the paint aisle.  No one seemed to care (whew!)  but I was a little worried that someone would slip and fall.  When the boys were little I used to travel with a roll of paper towels. I now remember why.

I didn't want to touch Adaiah.  By this point she was one giant silver baby.  And the shopping cart was silver as far as Adaiah could reach. 

I was really wishing I had my camera along. 

I busted out my Family Dollar Care Bear baby wipes and went to work.  I'm sold.  I don't know what is in that stuff but Adaiah is no longer silver (except for her pants).  The shopping cart came clean.  And I managed to remove all the silver paint off of everything that she touched on her way from the shopping cart to the car.  All with just a few baby wipes. 

It's a care bear wipey miracle.

So, the moral of this story is this:  If you are going to shop a super sweet craft store sale, avoid items with screw off lids.  Or shop alone.  If nothing else, at least bring the camera.  A roll of paper towels wouldn't hurt either. 

2 comments:

Davene Grace said...

Oh my! That Adaiah!

I love how you found the humor in a potentially tense situation. :)

Job38 said...

hooray for baby wipes and a very patient mama! good job, Valerie!