December 23, 2014

Gingerbread Contest 2014

Every year for the past 3 years or so, we've had a gingerbread house contest.  When I've talked to the kids about traditions and which ones they like and want to continue, this is one that they all agree is here to stay. 
Keturah did more eating than building.  :)

 Adaiah won "Most snowball's"

 Hannah won "Most candy"
Nehemiah won "Best Gummy Bear Jesus"
Joseph won "Unique use of gummy bears"

Surely the large amounts of candy help this tradition earn a top spot on their keep list.  :) 

For this contest I assemble the houses (technically they are graham cracker houses).  Each person gets a bag of icing and a bowl of candy.  We build, build, build until someone says that they are done.  Then the timer starts and everyone else gets a few more minutes. The table gets cleaned up a bit, the kids leave the room, and Roger and I set out to judge the houses.  We really need to come up with consistent categories, but for now we try to think of something creative for everyone to win a "ribbon".  These can be anything from "Most creative use of marshmallows" to (as we used this year) "Best Gummy Bear Jesus" :) 
Then everyone comes back in and votes for the "best of show".  After everyone has made a fuss over all of the houses it's time to dig in.  I set the timer for 1 minute and the kids can eat until the timer beeps.  I think I'm going to have to change this rule for next year.  I could not believe how much candy the boys could put back in 1 minutes time! 
It's a lot of fun, a major sugar rush, and a tradition that is here to stay.  :)

No comments: