September 23, 2014

Fire Ants

The 3 girls and I went out to take some birthday pictures on Saturday. The birthday girls were all dressed up and ready to strike a pose. (Birthday post is in the works)

We drove to a park where we could get some shots in a big open field.  I was trying to find a spot with 1)dry grass (it had rained the night before) 2)good lighting (the light/shade ratio was tricky for me to figure out)  After walking around for a minute we found a spot that I liked and I was ready to start taking pictures.

Keturah started acting weird though... crying and grabbing at her leg.

I called her over to me and then quickly realized what was happening.

My baby had been standing in a hill of fire ants.

I was wiping fire ants off of her while trying to toss my camera in my bag. I needed both hands to kill the fiery little devils that were ALL OVER her foot and quickly working their way up her leg.  I am so thankful that she was wearing sneakers instead of flip flops.  The bites could have been much worse.  

There are a few more bites on the other side, but most of them are on the back of her leg.  This evening they started getting itchy.  She keeps looking down at her leg and saying "owie! Ants!"

:(

I won't miss fire ants when we move to Indiana.


To end on a happier note though... let me share with you this song.  It's from Joseph's favorite comedian, Tim Hawkins.  He sings about fire ants.



(the song starts at about 1:45)

No comments: