June 11, 2011

Learning to say yes

I realized awhile ago that when the kids ask me a question my first response is to say no.  So I've been trying to pause before I answer.  Most of the time that no can be a yes. 

Last week, I forgot to pause.

The kids wanted to go in the pool.  I said no. 

We went outside to play - avoiding the pool.  Well, that was my plan. Adaiah?  She had other plans. Plans that very much involved the pool.

I didn't know she could get in there by herself.
Yeah.  She can.  She did.  And she enjoyed it. 
It was about at this point that I was wondering why I didn't just let them all in there. 
But because I'm stubborn and was sticking to my "no" I drained the pool. 
Which led to soggy muddy children.  Much worse than kids splashing in the pool.
Lesson learned.  Say yes more often.  And don't be so stubborn.

3 comments:

jmo said...

Love it. It's something I need to be more aware of as well. Thanks for the reminder. :)

sara said...

Oh Valerie same here. Thanks for the encouragement of yes!

Job38 said...

I also need to pause more often and think about if it's possible to say YES instead of NO.