December 27, 2017

Christmas Eve

Oh the excitement! I love Christmas Eve! We have a lot of fun traditions. Roger had to work, so we couldn't get started until he got home though. Having church in the morning helped the day go by faster... Plus we just love church. 😊

The kids requested that we resurrect our old tradition of a picnic at the Christmas tree. Long story short, even though I made finger foods, we ate at the table. Maybe next year? I dunno.

Nehemiah was convinced that he needed to make cookies for Roger and I to eat while putting presents under the tree. We already had at least 3 varieties left from our baking extravaganza a few days earlier, but that was of no importance to him. So... He baked cookies, recruiting Joseph to help.

That is a story all of its own.

I do love his heart though. Seeing my boys work together in the kitchen for me was a sweet moment for sure.

After dinner and cookie prep, we excitedly moved on to our favorite Christmas Eve activity! I've gone over the details of the game other years but I'll give the quick run-down here.
You need a present that's been wrapped in a gazillion layers of wrapping paper, a pair of dice, a hat, mittens, and a scarf. The dice get passed around: goal being to roll doubles. Doubles = all attire on and you get to open...until someone else rolls doubles. It's an intense game with lots of laughter.

Inside is usually a new game or movie and Christmas PJ's. Only this year I wrapped the PJs separate because, well, because I wanted to. :)

Keturah and Joseph were rolling doubles like crazy! Zion got a few too. She wasn't sure what was going on but she was loving all of the excitement and commotion.

So everyone got cozie in new PJs and then we played our new game: Exploding Kittens. So Fun!
The little two made a game of shredding the wrapping paper while we played Exploding Kittens. ::Shrug:: they were happy.

Bedtime was a little pitiful. Back in the day all of the kids slept in the same room on Christmas Eve because they were just so excited! But our bedrooms now are too small. There isn't enough room for anyone to sleep in a room that isn't their own. The boys were ok with that but my girls wanted to shake things up. Long dramatic story short, we got out our toddler cot and played musical beds.

It worked. :)

And with that, they all slept soundly... Until 4 am...


No comments: